Next: First Examples
Up: Lecture Notes for Math
Previous: Course Outline
Please hand in the answers to the following questions by tomorrow afternoon:
consider it your first assignment (marks are nominal and everyone who hands
it in gets 100%).
- Give your name, student number, e-mail address, phone number or
other way of getting in contact with you, and your field of study and year
here. If a graduate student, please give some details of your previous degrees
and fields of study.
- Write a paragraph or two detailing your mathematics background.
- Write a paragraph or two detailing your computer programming background.
Include the programming language you use most, and also the one you like most,
- Describe your experience with computer algebra in general
and Maple in particular (this could range from none at all through
casual use through writing a few programs (details please!) through
taking or giving courses in it).
- Tell me your main scientific interests.
- Identify the mathematical (not the Maple) difficulties if any in the statements below, and explain:
so , taking x=-2 in the above.
Applying the command
evalf(Sum(2^k, k=0..infinity)); in Maple yields
-1, confirming this.
- If and , then
SPM_ampint(1/(2+sin(x)),x)& yields this in Maple.
Thu Sep 7 10:54:30 PDT 1995