Next: Assignment 1: Background
Up: Lecture Notes for Math
Previous: Computer Algebra Day
This outline is mutable. I will adjust it to the level of the participants
in the course, insofar as I am able.
- Introduction: Administrivia, Maple examples, history
- Linear Algebra: exact arithmetic versus floating-point; conditioning.
- Polynomials: Maple tools for polynomial manipulation; GCD and the
Euclidean algorithm, more modern algorithms; resultant, discriminant,
stability and the Hurwitz criterion; bifurcation; RootOf; Gröbner bases
- Calculus: differentiation, series, integration and the Risch algorithm in
practice, differential equations; calculus of variations
- Special Functions: the Lambert W function; elliptic functions; hypergeometric
functions; orthogonal polynomials.
- Other topics
Thu Sep 7 10:54:30 PDT 1995